When I received the assignment to share reasons to switch to AMSOIL synthetic motor oil, I did something different. I was curious to hear what others at AMSOIL would say, so I decided to do a little crowdsourcing. I sent an email to several people on our staff to pick their brains.
One reason I wanted to ask AMSOIL employees why people should switch to AMSOIL synthetic motor oil was due to my curiosity about what they would say. After you read their responses, I will share why I decided to switch to AMSOIL back in the 1980s.
Matt Erickson – Director, Technical Product Management
- Peace-of-mind protection (the extra performance is a great, cheap insurance policy).
- Convenience of extended drains (it’s ok to delay my normal spring/fall change by a few weeks if I’m busy).
- Great cold-temperature performance – smoother shifts, dependable starts and better fuel economy on cold days!
Mark Nyholm – Technical Manager, Heavy Duty and Mechanical R&D
- Quality – AMSOIL pays great attention to the quality of its products, down to the very last detail.
- Performance – Whether you desire the performance we’ve built into the products, we have engineered the best products for the applications. We’ve cranked up every dial in performance we can to ensure your application gets the best of what it needs.
- Understanding – AMSOIL puts so much thought into your equipment and provides a product that has the capability of improving performance, reliability and longevity.
John Baker, Technical Writer
- High-performance products – AMSOIL is one of the best products available, meaning your vehicles and equipment receive outstanding protection.
- Trustworthy – AMSOIL backs up its product claims with test results.
- Save money – Extended drain intervals and long-lasting equipment save you money.
Amber Repensky, Marketing Specialist, International Business
- It really is the best protection on the market for my SUV.
- The company is environmentally conscious.
- Even though I change my oil every 10,000 miles, I like that I could push it further if I can’t get in to get an appointment. It would still be fine and not hurt anything to push it out a bit longer.
Why I switched to AMSOIL synthetic motor oil
When returned to Minnesota in the 1970s, my first winter here was something of a culture shock.
If I remember correctly, Minneapolis experienced a cold snap of such ferocity and duration that it never got above zero for 54 days, and for 10 days straight the mercury seemed stuck at -30ºF (-34ºC).
I’d never lived in a place where people plug in their cars to keep the engines warm.
At the time I didn’t own a car because I was in school, but when I returned to Minnesota in 1982 it became apparent that I needed to address this matter of cold-winter starts.
Better cold-weather protection
My brother-in-law, who grew up in the icebox known as Duluth, Minn., told me about a motor oil that stayed fluid down to -70ºF (-57ºC). He shared how, when you start your car, conventional oil remains in a semi-solid state in the oil pan and that it’s the heat generated by friction that warms the engine to get the oil flowing to critical engine parts.
My car would start easier and have better engine protection with AMSOIL synthetic motor oil.
Improved wear protection
He also told me about film strength in a way I’d never heard it before, and simply understanding this concept pretty much settled it for me.
I experienced some sticker-shock on the price, but learned that you didn’t have to change your oil as often, so the higher initial price was offset by reduced annual life-cycle cost.
That is, when you compare what you spend on oil per year, instead of per oil change, I was ahead of the game with AMSOIL. Furthermore, my engine was far ahead of the game in terms of cleanliness and protection.
Times have changed. Today’s engines place greater demands on lubricants. As a result, conventional motor oil needed to improve. As a result, you can no longer buy it for a pittance – and receive a mail-in rebate to boot.
The more you understand what goes on inside your engine, especially with turbochargers, variable valve timing and other sophisticated components, the less you’ll be inclined to choose oil based solely on price.
When all is said and done, I choose AMSOIL for its excellent cold-temperature performance, wear protection and performance.
How about you?