You should always ride with a buddy for safety. He or she can help free your sled if you get stuck. Unless the sled is completely buried, this technique works most of the time.
- Position one person near the skis and the other near the throttle
- On the count of three, one person pulls on a ski while the other burps the throttle
Sometimes it’s easier to roll the sled over rather than dig it out with a shovel, especially if you’re on a hillside.
- Start the sled and rev the engine to spin the snow out of the track
- Roll the sled onto its edge
- Pull the ski a few times to roll it over right-side-up
If you bury your sled in a tree well or other area with no exit, you’ll have to use your shovel. Make a path, free the track and then hit the throttle.